Keep your gallery order and still add pics.

Have a question? Look here first

Moderator: admin

Keep your gallery order and still add pics.

Postby Silversleeves on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 pm

This new gallery reordering scheme is frustrating and time-consuming, I think we all agree.

But while it's here, you might as well know there is a way to keep your gallery order the way you want it and still add pictures to your galleries, or even whole galleries.

The trick is to have your My Content list already open in a browser tab or window before you actually add anything to your galleries. Make the changes to the items in that list, and then go ahead and add pictures to your existing galleries. Then click back into the tab or window with the My Content list displayed, and scroll down -- or hit the End button on your keyboard if you prefer -- and click on the Save Order button. Unless something is seriously wrong on the IF side of things, this should still deliver a "Successfully saved new order" message, though not as quickly as if you were doing it merely after moving one or two galleries up and down.

Then click back to your Profile page -- or surf to same if you've been away from it for a bit -- and either Reload or wait for the page to finish loading. In either case your Top 5 should match up with what you left behind on My fap>My Content.

If it doesn't, complain here. :lol:

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

The trick, expanded (new galleries)

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

With this new scheme, newly-created galleries are typically assigned a "slot" in the top 5 of our My fap>My Content list.

When creating a new gallery, then, it's necessary to decide before you do so whether or not you want it at the 'tippity-top' of that quintet or somewhere further down. For a few minutes at least, the new gallery will be in the slot the Fap's software assigns it: by keeping your My Content list in the separate tab or window I mentioned in my OP, you can spot it and move it where you want after a Reload of that list. Then use the Save Order button as mentioned above.

Keep in mind that at least one other gallery presently in your Top 5 will be sent to the bottom of it. It's the same chance we all used to take when things worked like they did in 2010 and before: a gallery created or added to was bumped to the top and the fifth gallery became the sixth, invisible from the Profile page. The difference here is: that fifth gallery takes a longer trip, and it's not always the fifth in order of appearance. So even before you add a gallery, take a second or two to imagine which one of those currently in your Top 5 will be taking that trip.

Then go ahead and add the gallery.

BZT
...you can spot it and move it where you want after a Reload of that list.
Silversleeves

Re: Keep your gallery order and still add pics.

Postby earlyamerican on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:32 am

Thank you. This makes life alot easier!
earlyamerican

Another little tip (ymmv)

Postby Silversleeves on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:58 pm

As you're moving an "item" (shorthand for a gallery list entry) from almost the bottom of your My Content list to almost the top, you might be tempted to move it "one screen at a time," ie, from the bottom of the part of the list that's visible to you in the browser tab in which your MC list appears to the top of same.

I was doing that until I tried a straight-and-true drag from the item's original position to where I wanted it.

Deadly slow. :(

However, I found that if you hold down your left-mouse button and drag the item upward, then move your mouse in quick left-right-left strokes across any free space above the tab or window -- being careful not to right-click or let go and accidentally "select" some add-on's function when you try to recover -- it starts off as slow as the other method; as you approach the top of the list, things speed up a bit. Near the very top, it's often hard to keep the item from ending up in the very first slot on the first go.

Hope this proves helpful for some, if not many.

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Well, the Admin says it's fixed. They've returned us to Frontpage checkboxes, but retained the "Save new order" button.

So don't be surprised if you uncheck one gallery on your My Content list, check one that's further down, and then try to reload your Profile page to see if it's made the change.

I did it once and it didn't, once.

It was only after I confirmed that the older gallery was checked in the Frontpage column in My Content, clicked on the button marked Save new order, and then re-loaded my Profile that the change took effect.

Just in case you think the "fix" might be all talk. 8-)

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 am

I think this thread is now pretty obsolete, since the problem with gallery order has been fixed, or at any rate a more user-friendly method of arranging the galleries in our lists is in place. Though why the techs decided to keep "drag & drop" moving of list items, after weighting down each field element with the much-friendlier and less-time-consuming Frontpage checkboxes, I still haven't figured out.

Did they not get the message that we preferred the latter to the former, and that they were more than welcome to dispose of drag & drop just so long as a workable substitute was in place? I suppose not.

BZT
Silversleeves

Return to Imagefap House of Knowledge