A way to improve Alerts

Moderator: admin

A way to improve Alerts

Postby Silversleeves on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:17 pm

The line
... has added to favorites your gallery: ...

gives one the impression that the whole gallery has been added to someone's Favorites. And back before we could add individual pictures to Favorites, that would have been enough. But now that we have that ability, more people are taking advantage of it.

It should be relatively easy to code in
... has made your gallery ... a Favorite.
for instances where user Q has done it the old way, or
... has added a Picture from your gallery ... to their Favorites.
for instances where they've added individual pics from gallery X or Y.

It's certainly clearer. How likely is it that we'll see this change? Take a look at this and draw your own conclusions. :)

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Re: A way to improve Alerts

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:15 pm

I hope they can get on this soon. It's the proverbial "dog chasing its own tail" to try to find out/figure out what from where was added by whom when you get a Favorites alert as they're phrased now (in ImageFap's all-but-patented awkward English). Ironically asking the member who made the picture or gallery a favorite also runs one into the language barrier.

A new policy for the techs and Higher Ups on Fap to consider adopting:
"If you can't get something right the first time, don't do it at all. It's better to put up with what is than to try to fix what might be."
Corollary to that: "Read the SUGGESTIONS thread in these Forums. If you don't find it there, it's likely the membership doesn't want it. It's guaranteed that anything not discussed in at least two posts in that thread would not be popular with us."

BZT
Silversleeves

Another way to improve Alerts

Postby Silversleeves on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Have the Alerts system monitor changes made to alerts posted to a member's alerts list in 30-minute intervals, provided first the member is logged in. That will save us a trip back to the Alerts page to remove alerts we just dealt with. BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Of course, it might just be so that the best way to improve Alerts is to get rid of them.

I just had it happen that one member adding themselves to my Fanbase showed up twice; the event times were 9 seconds apart, and in the same list was a gallery or picture Favorites add by someone who didn't have anything in their Favorites to begin with.

If it turns out this was merely a glitch, all the better. But I suspect we'll see more of this in the weeks ahead, not less.

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:20 am

Today I had the "Favorites/No Favorites Listed" thing happen twice.

Could it be that the Alerts feature is confusing member IDs?

I hope that's all it is.

Though franky, I'm ready to say, "Pitch it and start over!" w/re the whole "mis-improvement."

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby nacktsau_marko on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 pm

What kind of alert is it???!!! I NEVER got such an alert, although my gallery has been added to some favourites already... Furthermore, I only can add a whole gallery to my favourites, tried it with single pics but no way. How many 'galaxies' are existing here...
Question is since when does this alert exist, maybe it's newer than my gallery was 'added to favourites'?
nacktsau_marko

Postby Silversleeves on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:37 am

nacktsau_marko wrote:Furthermore, I only can add a whole gallery to my favourites, tried it with single pics but no way. How many 'galaxies' are existing here...
I just checked that out. In order to add pictures, you must already have a folder for them (at least one). The way to set this up is
My fap>
Favorites
+Create new folder <---not a typo -- the link will look just like that.

Name your new folder, select Pictures from the pull-down menu, and click on the button marked Save Folder and you'll have a place to put individual pictures which you wish to make Favorites.

nacktsau_marko wrote:Question is since when does this alert exist, maybe it's newer than my gallery was 'added to favourites'?
I have seen these alerts since this new Alerts feature was implemented last month. I've noticed since that it's much more common for members to add individual pictures to their Favorites than to add whole galleries. They have yet to re-phrase them more specifically for each type of Favorites add, and that was the first suggestion I made.

The second and third suggestions built on this. I think if we are going to have an "Alerts system," it might as well be accurate and self-sustaining enough to do for us those things I suggested. Just an FYI: out of 25 alerts I found on my Profile page when I logged in this morning, one was a Favorites add Alert to someone who's yet to set up their Favorites. To me, that's one too many.

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby nacktsau_marko on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:52 am

Ah, ok, thanks a lot!!
nacktsau_marko

Postby Silversleeves on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:07 am

Now I think the Alerts feature is starting to make things up to give people Alerts for.

It would help, of course, if the times displayed on the main site could, like the Forums, be set to a member's local time, once one was logged in.

When I first became a member of ImageFap in 2007, this struck me as quite a thing to not be able to do. I got the distinct impression then that they originally intended the site to be no more than a resource and meeting-place for a few like-minded people residing in what I casually refer to as "Downtown Europe"; that part of the continent where folks use CET/CDT for their time, coincidentally.

But back to the point of this post. Today I had a Fan add Alert come up. I didn't see the member's name or avatar on my Profile page, and if the time on the alert had been in EDT and not CDT, I would have been able to tell right away that this person had thought twice on reading my About Me: and removed themselves from my Fanbase. Unfortunately, there's no Alert for removing or being removed, just adding, so far -- read into that what you want to.

That's one possibility. The member was, I found out, in the USA, and obviously had enough English and practiced enough common courtesy to realize their mistake and put it right.

The other possibility is that the Alert system is making things up as it goes along, which is possibly a side-effect of some other fixes of glitches and failures that have gone on around it since the end of June.

Read into that what you want to.

BZT
Silversleeves

Return to Site Stuff