"The all new, multi-purpose REORDERING IMAGES thread."

Moderator: admin

Re: "The all new, multi-purpose REORDERING IMAGES thread."

Postby Silversleeves on Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 am

More than Sunday blahs and lag...
Here it is Thursday, and of four attempts at reordering, three in one gallery (in two browsers) and one in another, only one (the first tried) actually stuck. Doesn't help that whatever's happening behind the scenes is making it a long, hard slosh for browsers I've not surfed to IF in awhile to even load images to pages.

Let's get this thing on some more solid code footing, shall we? I mean, if ImageFap is going to keep it, it'd be nice if it worked at least as consistently as site mail or the uploader.

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

A post for any newbies to this thread.

Postby Silversleeves on Fri May 28, 2010 10:15 am

Just as a f'rinstance.

As of 1015 CET today, reordering is not working (Gecko/XUL and Opera checked; Google Chrome can duff it this time round).

I'm sure, though, that either in the next hour to three hours, reordering will come back at the (possible) expense of something else. Maybe the uploader (he says, biting his own tongue).

BZT
EDIT: It didn't even take that long. I repeated my latest re-order attempt in Opera (failed), logged out, logged in via SM 2.0, and tried again (succeeded).
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:12 pm

Nothing new worth mentioning. Just a bump since this seems to be a popular topic once again.

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby fastfred2point0 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Sorry about this but I am a tech-no idiot. I would not know a URL from a hole in the ground. Strictly a point and shoot guy. Having admitted that lets move on. I get to the reorder screen and click on the picture I want to move. I drag it to the location I want and try to drop it. And no can do. It just stays stuck to my courser. The only way to get it off is to leave that screen completely. Remembering "tech-no idiot" can anyone help me get the the picture to drop where I put it?
fastfred2point0

Postby Silversleeves on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:27 pm

With Flock definitely on its way to becoming Google Chrome Jr., I think it might serve if I tried some uploading and reordering in a half-and-half build of it (read: half-Gecko/XUL/Mozilla, half Google-fied-beyond-belief-or-common-sense). At the same time, I'm waiting for the ink to start drying on something other than a "House of Google" alpha or beta of that particular browser, so the end up is you probably won't hear much about Flock on this thread until at least 1 October.

Unless the Googlecode folks "pull a Microsoft" and roll something out, calling it final when it's buggier than a bayou fish pile. :)

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:30 am

If I wasn't commonsensibly inclined to think otherwise, I'd say the reorder script bundle picks up on habits. Works when you work it, doesn't work if you leave it alone for a time, upload (or add to) a few galleries, then suddenly call upon it and expect it to work.

Something very much like this happened this morning. Uploaded in SeaMonkey 2.x, and on the last gallery I went to Reorder. No dice. Cleared cookies, logged out and in, surfed straight to the gallery I was working on ("would have liked to be working on," more like) -- again, no workies. So I tried Flock, Chrome and Opera. Either the thing's just OFF for this block-o'-time, or it's starting to remember your habits. Bad news, b's & g's. It almost puts me back to saying "Get rid of the damn thing altogether."

BZT Mini-Rant wrote:Let's be realistic: one tech and a site that grows by leaps, bounds and busloads daily or weekly, make for just about the worst circumstances under which you could roll out what is, after all, a feature ("bell & whistle") of very questionable merit in the first place. With regard to the tech and the higher-ups at MPRNM: They opted for nonsense, but they weren't the ones who had to put UP with the nonsense they opted for.

Now that that's out of my system, have a great temporal anomaly, folks.

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby fastfred2point0 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:03 pm

What I can not understand is, why can't we have a simple "drag and drop" program to reorder the images in a gallery? I can hook onto an image and move it all around the board, it just will not drop. So at least half the program is there. I think that this would be a very important part of the upload and edit programs. From the post that I have read on this subject so far, I have either misunderstood the meaning of reorder, or you guys are trying to kill a fly with a cannonball. Every program dealing with images that I have worked with has had that feature. And; pulling a gallery out and putting everything in order dose not work either because when I upload the gallery the order is screwed up. So either delete that reorder thing, or get off your ass and fix it. :?
fastfred2point0

Postby rougefemale on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 am

yes, we know. this was the intention of the software. the problem is it doesnt work with most browsers and is intermittent with the rest. and they cant seem to figure out why.
ImageIMAGEFAP GALLERY CONTEST number 4Image - click here to find out more - spread the word

http://www.rougefemale.com
rougefemale

Postby Silversleeves on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 pm

rougefemale wrote:yes, we know. this was the intention of the software. the problem is it doesnt work with most browsers and is intermittent with the rest. and they cant seem to figure out why.

When it's behaving well (well-behaved?), the Gecko-XUL Moz browsers work. When it's even a little naughty, they don't. This is likely to make me sound like a broken record, but I find it just a little curious that the same browsers for which one has to go through half-a-dozen extra steps to fancy up a Blog post decently, instead of using the server-side interface, are the same ones with which there's a big problem two-thirds of the time with reordering. I suspect a little common code between the Blog, old as it is, and this quasi-innovation to be the culprit, but in this I'm just guessing.

BTW, there's a chance that while Flock for Windows and Google Chrome (same port/build) might be on opposite sides of the "will work/won't work" wall, the same may not be true for the Linux or Mac builds of those two browsers. Chromium (for which I believe there is a Darwin Port, Mac folks) is Google Chrome for GNU/Linux-es, and there is also a Flock for same, though in different distributions and derivations the install procedure is different and often not as consistent ito icons, buttons, menus working etc. If I find myself with nothing else to do and needing a challenge I'll put myself to installing one or the other and see if what I suspect is so: that L/Unix|OS X builds of the "working" Windows browsers don't and the new crop of "non-working" ones, do.

Clear as mud, right?

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Cowboymeisje on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm

when will the image reorder be working again? thanks.
Cowboymeisje

PreviousNext

Return to Site Stuff