Big flaw in Gallery reordering

Moderator: admin

Big flaw in Gallery reordering

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 pm

When you reload "My Content," make sure you don't have the HTML/phbBB code page open on any gallery you own.

Why not?

Because it will reverse the order of every single gallery in your list. If you happen to have (as I did when I made this mistake) added any pictures to the gallery for which you have the forum/blog code page open, that one stays on top, but every other gallery in your My Content is listed chronologically, first to last, by when the gallery was either created or last added to (when the date-stamping still worked like it should).

And now that we've traded in the "Frontpage" checkbox for this one-item-at-a-time drag-&-drop feature: if you want to bring your most recently added to or most recently created galleries within range of your Profile page, you have to do so one at a time. I'm an inveterate "adder", a "Winston Smith spammer" to recycle my own phrase from a few months ago, but I'm also, so far as I'm aware, the person who's been here almost the longest of anyone not an Admin or moderator. End up? If I want my galleries within "spitting distance" of my Profile page, like I had them less than an hour ago, I have to move each one past 420 other gallery titles in my My Content list.

I'd love to ask the techs why they find it necessary to make a change in a feature, where the change results in one being able to manipulate only one item at a time, when leaving something alone preserved for one the (much more desirable and convenient) option of working with multiple items simultaneously.

I guess we're left to file this under "can't leave well enough alone" until it changes.

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Re: Big flaw in Gallery reordering

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:52 pm

And now I'm getting an error when I try to re-order them. Definitely not ready for prime-time, this "feature"!
:x

Funny -- of all the changes and modifications that have been implemented, I only recall seeing the "reply to comments" one in rougefemale's SUGGESTIONS thread. If someone could find one that even vaguely refers to drag-n-drop gallery ordering, please post the link to this thread.

In the meantime, should someone else find a "kicker" for this flaw, something besides the forum and blog code page that invokes it, please post asmuch to this thread ASAP.

Thanks a bunch.

BZT
Silversleeves

LATER ON THAT SAME DAY

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Must have been a glitch -- I added pics to another gallery, and my My Content and Profile top-five lists returned to "normal" (chronological last modified or created to first such, that is to say). Better still, the gallery to which I added pics "bumped" (hooray!) to the very top of each list.

Is that one egg on my face, two, or a whole omelette? ;)

BZT
-------------------------------------------------------
It's No Glitch -- This Is Definitely A Flawed Item. So much for test servers, eh?!
Added to yet another gallery, reloaded my Profile page with the gallery in a separate window, and the same thing happened -- the Profile page listing now shows the two galleries to which I added pics most recently, and then the order is to chronological first-to-last instead of the more conventional last-to-first. I have no doubt that My Content, if reloaded, will do the same thing. From where I sit, it shouldn't happen that adding to one gallery fouls the order while adding again corrects it. Having restored "bump," the techs should now investigate what's causing the order of the un-modified galleries to change this way.
Silversleeves

Postby earlyamerican on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:02 am

Yeah, this is happening to me too! F**king annoying if you've got 207 galls to move!
earlyamerican

Postby Silversleeves on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 am

@earlyamerican:

It gets worse, but to even see this issue, you have to add pics to more than one existing gallery. Check out my "Are we seeing double" thread here on H&S. BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 am

And does anyone else have this happen?
Reloading my Profile page, or My fap>My Content, always gives a new order to whatever galleries I may have worked on recently. I suppose it must have something to do with the duplicate-name creation I discuss in the H&S thread.

It's not world-ending, just unsettling. It's like a new feature spawned from a new feature, neither of which I don't think anyone requested.

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Just think -- I could Frontpage this gallery
Code: Select all
http://www.imagefap.com/gallery.php?gid=1618393
(which I finished in April of '09 btw) and get more views if they had left the old ordering method alone!

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 am

A reason to CHANGE...THINGS...BACK:

I was away from the Fap for a couple of days, and when I logged on this evening my time, intending to add some pictures to a Beach, maybe also to a Nudist gallery, I surfed to my "Endless Summer Days" section and right at the top was "Beach Gallery 11." Not even bothering to check the last-modified date on it, I loaded the first page of thumbs. I did this having been all too accustomed to seeing the latest created gallery on top of every folder list in my Organizer. Imagine my chagrin when some of the thumbs loaded broken. So I alt-tab'bed back into my file navigator and looked for the gallery numbers on recent .zip files I'd made. Lo and behold, the newest relevant one was named "beach41-150511.zip" Forty-one, not 11.

And I would have seen Beach Gallery 41 -- which I had to surf to page 2 of "Endless Summer Days" in my Organizer to find -- and right away, too, if the techs didn't think it just Oh So Cool to make a change no one asked for.

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby adct124 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:14 pm

It's definitely a bug, and a big one. I have tried to reorder galleries within a single club and ALL galleries reversed order - oldest-at-the-top...
So, I reorder them latest-at-the-top, apply changes, add new gallery and they are again listed oldest-at-the-top.
Rearranging them after every change is really pain in the ass.
Basically, we all want - most of the time - newest galleries at the top of the list on profile page and in gallery listings.
So, what would be a nice workaround until this outstanding bug in Gallery Order gets fixed:
buttons "Sort in Chronological Order" and "Sort in Reverse Chronological Order"
Please fix this with raised priority.
adct124

Postby Silversleeves on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 am

If you add to or create 5 galleries a log-in session, the chances that you'll leave with the galleries in something close to the order you meant them to be in are better. Not great, but better. Somehow they were able to insinuate the number of galleries displayed on our Profile pages into this new rearrangement scheme. All the same, I liked the "Frontpage checkbox system" a hell of a lot more than this, for reasons I've already stated. BZT
Silversleeves

Next

Return to Site Stuff