New-model Gallery reordering makes no sense

Moderator: admin

Re: New-model Gallery reordering makes no sense

Postby evol_love on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:49 am

Looks like things are fixed on this matter. Just added a gallery and it went straight to the top of the gallery list and all the others retained their order. Well done and thanks for the fix, admin. :)
evol_love

Postby admin on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:10 pm

It took some time to get it done, but it finally is working as it should
admin
Site Admin

Postby Silversleeves on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:42 pm

There aren't words in English (maybe Dutch, which I don't have, or German, which I've forgotten a lot of) to express my gratitude.

Two questions. One, does this include the problem with "last-modified" dates? And two, "Or is that fix still to come?"

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Let me answer those two questions myself, now that the fix has been in place for awhile.

No, and yes.

So... another two questions:

Is there really any use to the new Order by upload date button when most of the dates can be wrong by anywhere from one week to six months? (Especially for us members formerly known as "Winston Smith spammers" by the Uploader, etc.) Might it not be better to label that button Order by 1st upload date ?

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:07 am

Okay, the Frontpage checkbox is back, but have you noticed what's missing? Anything to warn you when you have more than 5 boxes checked.

That would be harmless, except that I just had it happen that the same gallery showed up twice on consecutive lines on my Profile page after I had
  • Moved it from near the bottom of My Content to the very top
  • Added to the gallery
  • Added to other galleries
  • Unchecked more than a few Frontpage checkboxes of galleries I didn't even see on my Profile page
    (If I didn't see them, how could anyone else?)
  • Clicked on Save New Order .

C'mon folks, you're slipping -- we still can't choose more than three primary categories for our galleries, but we can click in as many Frontpage checkboxes as we wish and no warning or alert box pops up to advise us not to? That's the proverbial "hundred applicants for five jobs" in cyber. Except here you're "hiring" every single one, and it's screwing the system up yet again.

Take another look, please, and soon.

BZT
Last edited by Silversleeves on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:54 am

The two-of-the-same-gallery glitch just happened again. To point this up, I'm going to Frontpage both of the galleries it has so far happened with and email Support. I suppose I'll have to go back to putting "Invisible Update" notices up as Profile Comments -- on my own Profile page no less -- until this issue is at least looked into. It's not a world-ender: just damned annoying. And to think they could have avoided it (op. cit.).

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:51 am

I say it's time the "slide rule" drag & drop reordering was removed, ditched, trashed, expunged, whatever word for "gotten rid of" suits your fancy.

It conflicts with the Frontpage checkbox scheme in one important way: the "Save Order" button does not acknowledge the change in checked boxes.

Besides which, as I may have already mentioned, the checkboxes add extra "weight" to each line item, making them significantly slower to drag around. Especially for those of us with long lists of galleries. I won't revisit here how the number of people with long lists of galleries multiplied earlier this calendar year: the techs know it, and they should blush for it, imo!

So let's see IF go with just checkboxes, and forget drag & drop was even a twinkle in a Vice-President's eye (or mole on some other part of their person, more like).

Thanks for giving this micro-rant a read. Comments?

BZT
Silversleeves

Previous

Return to Site Stuff