A few site gaffes worth mentioning.

Moderator: admin

Re: A few site gaffes worth mentioning.

Postby travelerxxx on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:40 pm

purvvygurl wrote:There seem to be a huge number of dead image links now. Thumbs show, but I'm getting a lot of dead links to the actual pics. It seems they are from mid-2010 or so. :(

Having the exact same problem here. Tried the alternate site addresses, but the problem persists. Major bummer. :(
travelerxxx

Postby Silversleeves on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 pm

purvvygurl wrote:There seem to be a huge number of dead image links now. Thumbs show, but I'm getting a lot of dead links to the actual pics. It seems they are from mid-2010 or so. :(
That may have something to do with the recent server crash (officially phrased as "is down" by the Admin in his latest Announcement). Now the rest of what we lost in the last big server down-age has gone the way of the dodo and the carburetor engine -- notice the similarities in the time frame? BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Back on topic.

Folks who want to read the image comments from my profile with their correct, if smaller than usual, thumbs next to them can c&p this address:
Code: Select all
http://www.imagefap.com/comments.php?userid=207299&view=image
For a shortcut to your own page, you can find out your User ID number by right-clicking on the See All Galleries link, Copying the Link Location, & pasting it into Notepad or some other text editor. That string should have a unique 6-digit number following the string "userid=" (no quotes). Do the same C&P with the URL in the code block above, and replace mine with yours: there's your shortcut.

All this is little long and involved, I agree, but until they fix this problem of go-nowhere links and wrong thumbs, it's about all one can do.

BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 am

Well, avatars are back in the Forums from the "other side," and even the Forums themselves seem pretty much lag-free (knock on particle-board). Even zippy, depending on the length, age and weight of the thread. Now if they can just "figger out" what went wrong with the Profile page thumbs next to comments, and fix it, we'd all be much more satisfied wilderness enthusiasts (a hundred-Euro phrase for "happy campers"). BZT
Silversleeves

Postby Silversleeves on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:57 am

This HTML conflict between the Profile pages and the Galleries has got to be looked at and resolved.

I suspect that without telling anyone, the techs took steps to make sure they should never be tempted to restore hot-linking ability to Gallery Descriptions. As a result, we've lost the use of ampersands as punctuation in gallery titles (as I discovered when naming my last BDSM gallery), but on the other hand, now we're getting things that look more like shell-scripting escape code in what should be our "correct" gallery names.

An example:
Preggos Keep \"Popping Up\" 5
You won't see this in my Organizer, but I do in my My Content list and the analogous lists to it used to add galleries to the Clubs I belong to. The slashes DO show up in a browser titlebar when the gallery is surfed, however.

I suspect something peculiar to Unix or Linux was involved, and it probably also explains the "stealth mis-improvement" the techs made to the site earlier in June. What works on a wall should work on a window, I suppose, was their thinking.

BZT
Silversleeves

Previous

Return to Site Stuff