What the gallery software counts?

Moderator: admin

What the gallery software counts?

Postby Silversleeves on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 am

Is it just me, or is everyone else wondering which action or task the gallery software counts when one is the gallery "owner" and surfs their own posted galleries?

If we're the creator and "owner" of a gallery, do our own views go into the counts cycles? Three counts at a time of one picture increases the visible number; are owner's views included or are they not? A couple of years ago, I remember seeing something about owner's views being excluded, but with as many changes as have been made to the Uploader, etc, I suppose at some point in time the techs may have found it easier to remove this restriction. Have they?

And about votes: I'm still pretty sure it's one vote per member per logged-in "session" on a given picture in any gallery, but lately I'm beginning to think that something like the "it doesn't count the owner views" thing applies here too. Can anyone vote twice on the same picture and have it count? Or is their login name and/or IP address registered at the time of their first vote, compared with those of the person voting second, and if either is the same, ignored? This looks to be how it works. Is it?

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Re: What the gallery software counts?

Postby Irregular.Fox on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:41 pm

As far as I can tell image views include views from the gallery owner / creator.

I don't know anything about votes. I've never done it.
Irregular.Fox
Site Admin

Postby protsent on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 pm

interested too
protsent

Postby Silversleeves on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:03 am

Well, I know what it doesn't count -- direct links to full-sized images without the PHP page wrapped around them.

I don't recall exactly, but it was either before Reorder Images was introduced, or before it was improved, that it used to count direct links, at odd times and probably only because traffic was low. Of course, when you make an end-run like that around both IF's and Google's counters, you can't expect consistency, right?

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Return to Site Stuff