Uploader reverted to old-style posting (almost)?

Moderator: admin

Uploader reverted to old-style posting (almost)?

Postby Silversleeves on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:25 pm

{Internal conversation}

"No more random arrangement needing Reorder Images? Could I be dreaming?"

("Well, hold up a minute. Only most of the last 12 files -- into two separate existing galleries -- had their new stuff wind up at the last page of thumbs, Bee-Zed. And you did perform a little deletion surgery on the first of those two galleries before you uploaded into it.")

"Oh. You're right on both counts. So, as usual, time will tell if the old and original way persists. No need to say I hope it does."

("No need, indeed!")

{Okay, done.}

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Maybe not, maybe something better

Postby Silversleeves on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:32 pm

If I didn't know any better, I'd say they put something in that "learns" a gallery owner's habits.

But you have to be inclined to adding to your existing galleries to reap the benefit, otherwise it's not so obvious that it does this.

For most of the galleries to which I add new pictures, I have been using Reorder Images to bring all my newly-added pictures to the top of the whole set, and in alphanumeric order by filename. With my last few adds to galleries, the Uploader has been doing this for me. I'd estimate that out of the last half-dozen times I've added pictures to existing galleries, I've had to call up Reorder Images twice. That's four out of six (not having to use it as against the total number of uploading times), a pretty good ratio to someone who's always thought of R-O as somewhat superfluous.

Zipped images bring on a curious behavior, too, I've noticed. All but the first picture in the .zip line up for me where I would have put them anyway. That first picture shows up last in the thumbs pages, or in Reorder Images' set of micro-thumbs. From there it's a simple matter of bringing it to the top and clicking on the "finished" link. It's almost as if the Uploader wants to arrange the thumbs the "old way," and at the same time wants to show the gallery owner that it knows his or her habits pretty well already. Compromise: drop only the first picture in an archive to the old "starting point" for any new pictures added to a gallery.

Which is OK with Me. :)

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Return to Site Stuff