kinda new kinda not

Free and reliable Fap-only gallery-posting forum (thx Silversleeves for the suggestion)

Moderator: admin

kinda new kinda not

Postby KuZuSkoT on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm

hello all, I just realized this site has a forum...

not sure how something work here yet but figured i'd post something up to get some help...

mainly form seasoned vets on here with how galleries should really be set up.

http://www.imagefap.com/gallery.php?pgid=&page=0&gid=1452154

mostly i'll be uploading drawnings and illustrations i've done (since i don't have to worry about copyright violations that way) if your into animation or hentai you might want to check out my profile, any tips on how to set the galleries up to be more assessable to more users would be really helpful.

thanks in advance and have a groovy day :D
KuZuSkoT

Re: kinda new kinda not

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:44 am

Nice drawings.

First of all, let me suggest two things:

• Zip your files from inside the folder in which they're located.
While the site's build of the Uploader can parse .zips that have folders inside, one of the changes the techs have made is that it can no longer "ignore" the folder name. So that ends up right under the thumbnail, in the titlebar above and description block below the full size image, along with the file name. I don't know what OS you use, but I've done galleries from Mac OS X and Windows, so I know the techniques that will work to achieve this result.

• Try not to upload files that are in Progressive JPEG mode.
Re-save at approximately the same quality or compression level (in standard or optimized modes) if you have to. The thumbnail generator built into the gallery-side software has always had issues with Progressive JPEGs; it tends to "break" them or lose them. Ironic, saying as it's strictly a Web appliance, and ProgJPEG was created for the WWW.

I don't see anything else wrong with your layout.

Hope this helps.

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Postby AngiInnocent on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:17 am

I was wondering how the names of some files in galleries had gotten directory names in them!
AngiInnocent

Postby Silversleeves on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:31 pm

AngiInnocent wrote:I was wondering how the names of some files in galleries had gotten directory names in them!

Yes, that's how. And I think it was a dumb tweak on the part of the techs and coders. When the gallery generator was able to pass up on folder names, I got into the habit of re-using my .zips as backup. It saved me the step of creating a directory into which to extract the files. Now to avoid having arbitrary (and at the odd moment, potentially-embarrassing) folder names attached to the files in folks' minds, one has to make .zips that aren't as "multi-use ready," to trot out an overused phrase in the Tech Zone.

I was reminded of just how impractical this (not necessarily new but arguably necessary for ImageFap) approach to zipping was when I copied over one large .zip, which I had previously uploaded to IF, from my Windows desktop machine to my Ubuntu laptop. I discovered while sitting at the latter that I had to flip back into the file manager to create a folder, or else the files extracted from the .zip would have been all over the place. Wasn't that long ago that I didn't have to do that.

In the BASH shell in Linux and Unix, the two commands closely related to this are 'basename' and 'dirname'. The techs tossed the analogous code for the former and went to the trouble of extending the code to incorporate the latter. I think it's well past time they changed it back.

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Return to Gallery Garden