Night mode option

Help with all things ImageFap, site/account difficulties, questions for staff, browser issues etc.

Moderator: admin

Night mode option

Postby longhairfish on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:25 pm

As some of you might have noticed, the main design of our site has not changed much since it was first started over 11 years ago. This is simply because the site works very well. Also people don't like change too much. The bottom line would be the same if we did make changes - you still see pictures.

More recently though, some users have asked for a small change. That would be "Night Mode". What is it? You know our main site background color is white. Not good on the eyes if you happen to be in a dimly lit room. So a darker type of theme would be more pleasing.

I have put in a request to our designer team to make an option for Night Mode. The reality is that this might take some time to do. So lets do it ourselves.

Starting with Firefox browser, the first extension I found works perfect! I didn't have to do anything fancy.

Try this extension if you want. It only takes 5 seconds to do.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/?src=search

Automatically you will go to "Night Mode". There will be an A up next to your address bar. From there you can turn it off or on.

When I find similar extensions for Chrome or MS Edge I will post them here.
longhairfish
Site Admin

Re: Night mode option

Postby longhairfish on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Chrome extension.

After trying out many different extensions, I like this one the best.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... lkhoghieie

Mostly because you can change the brightness of the page.
longhairfish
Site Admin

Postby gmmmb on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:44 pm

Doesn't work on FF; button says 'loading' forever...
gmmmb

Postby MonsieurBome on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:47 pm

Most extensions I have tried on either Safari or Firefox work well on the site. On FF I'm using Sauron right now and everything looks acceptable.
There's just one little thing: the outdated icons up top (envelop, flag etc.) look even more terrible in Dark Mode than they did before. Given that there are so many free icon sets oou there nowadays it should be fairly easo to replace the old ones with some matching new hi-res ones. At least I'd think so.

And I understand that this isn't really a priority four you guys but given how easy it should be to replace a few icons it might be a matter of minutes.

And while you're at it, why not update actual ImageFap logo? That weird Comic Sans (or whatever it is) text in a wonky blue and white box really deserves to be retired. ;)
Why not just make a little contest out of it? I'm sure we have many talented members on the site who'd love to donate a nice fresh logo design!?

Just some food for thought, that's all.

Keep up the good work and Happy New Year to all!
MonsieurBome

Postby longhairfish on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:00 pm

The imagefap icon. A few thoughts on that.

First - people love it! OMG, you should see when people verify their account (gender). We have so many artists that love to use the logo in their verification picture.

Next, its been here 13 years. Everyone knows it. To change it would open a big can of worms. "Why did you do that??" or "This new logo looks awful".
longhairfish
Site Admin

Postby MonsieurBome on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Seriously, none of these are actual reasons not to update it. People would use any logo in their verification images, that doesn't mean they actually love it.
And "it's always been there" is just a lazy excuse. Just as is the fear of negative backlash. (I mean that in a general sense, not calling you lazy personally. ;) )

But whatever, it's your site, your logo (if you even want to call it that) and your decision. I was just spitballing.

What about the site icons though? Yeah, they've also always been there but nowadays you can get icon sets for free that look way better and more current -- and even look nice when using dark mode on your computer and/or browser. Just sayin'…
MonsieurBome

Postby MartianKnight on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Was this Night Mode option ever implemented? I looked through all the settings and couldn't find it.
MartianKnight

Postby longhairfish on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:27 am

Never implemented. You can chose your own type of dark mode by adding the extension / add-on to your browser.
longhairfish
Site Admin

Postby Joli_Cul on Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:27 am

A little known standard web function is that you can serve different CSS.
So you could serve the original CSS by default, and add the dark mode one as a secondary choice.
If a website propose multiple style, the browser should allow for selection (for firefox, it's Display -> page style I don't know for other ones).
Speaking of it, the mobile website could benefit of it too, and there isn't much plugs in for mobile if I'am not mistaken.
I mean, I understand why you don't want to change the default appearance of the site, but maybe allow for an option?
Joli_Cul

Return to Help & Support