NEW upload format starts today! ** READ THIS **

Moderator: admin

Re: NEW upload format starts today! ** READ THIS **

Postby linkmail on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:10 am

I've kind of lost track over the course of the discussion...

Can you give us a listing of which OS's and which browsers are known to be compatible with the current upload format?

Thanks.
linkmail

Postby knobofbutter on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:11 pm

"File type not allowed"

...for .jpg???

All blockers, etc. disabled...
knobofbutter

Postby longhairfish on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Todays update:

Addressing the biggest issues first. Then we will get to the smaller stuff.

Many times users would get a message about empty galleries. Some users would have over 1000 seemingly empty galleries. Or galleries the user deleted, but remnants of the galleries were still laying around. Those users should see a 'one click option' to delete all of those rogue galleries. Give the page a few seconds to clean up those galleries.

Internet Explorer. We won't abandon this just yet. But please know you are using a very old web browser. I won't tell you that updating it is what you should do, just recommending it. Anyway, we will work on this browser. When we do, you probably won't have the convenience of the new uploader like everyone else has. This semi fix is in the works. Also, if you find using Internet Explorer to be a nuisance on our site, then you will be presented with the option to download and install Chrome browser. We know this will not give you any problems.

That's all for now. I will update you again when I have more news.
longhairfish
Site Admin

Postby longhairfish on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:54 pm

linkmail wrote:I've kind of lost track over the course of the discussion...

Can you give us a listing of which OS's and which browsers are known to be compatible with the current upload format?

Thanks.

Chrome should be fine. I have tested this browser using various operating systems.
longhairfish
Site Admin

Postby belac1 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:57 pm

I could be wrong, but from what I've observed it seems that the images whose thumbnails are being pixelated are all .png, while other formats like .jpg are fine. Other than that, my biggest complaint about the new system is that many images won't upload at all on the first attempt, and it can be frustrating to try and keep track of which files failed, and i'm sure it's even worse if you're trying to keep a gallery in a particular order.

Also, not sure if this is related, but it seems like since the new upload system was introduced gallery descriptions no longer show up when actually in the gallery (and this seems to apply to all old galleries as well as new ones). Is this related to the new upload system, or just a weird issue on my end?
belac1

Postby Surfside67 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:28 am

Folks,

FYI: I just noticed that in the header of a gallery in the detailed and one page views, the links "Switch to edit mode", "Add images" and so forth, and the "Move to" picklist, are not shown in Firefox all of a sudden. But they are shown okay in Chrome. So using Chrome with this site generally seems to be the correct way to go at the moment.

PJ
Surfside67

Postby fargone8 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:27 am

I can get nowhere with this new upload method. I go to where it says 'upload', and I've managed to drag some images in, but once I've uploaded all I have to, there's no instructions as to how then upload them from that point, in fact there is no instructions of any kind! This new venture from my position is disastrous!
fargone8

Postby linkmail on Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:46 am

longhairfish wrote:
linkmail wrote:I've kind of lost track over the course of the discussion...

Thanks.

Chrome should be fine. I have tested this browser using various operating systems.

Whoa! Chrome worked great! Better than I expected or even hoped!

Thanks for the suggestion!
linkmail

Postby jerrai on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:42 am

longhairfish wrote:

Surfside67 wrote:So using Chrome with this site generally seems to be the correct way to go at the moment.

Not my experience at all. I usually use Firefox, and uploads are pretty much non-functional with that browser. The process moves at a glacial pace, and roughly 50% of a given set will fail in an error.

I read the message above with hope, and decided to try out Chrome. The results were similar - the speed was a bit faster, but the failure rate rose to about 75%.

As of right now, IF's upload is unusable no matter what browser you use.
jerrai

Postby SgtSquish on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:48 am

nothing happens when I browse or drag drop the files.. help!
SgtSquish

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement