Creating a new gallery

Have a question? Look here first

Moderator: admin

Creating a new gallery

Postby Silversleeves on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:25 am

Let's use this "House of Knowledge" to spread some "Knowledge" around. (Yes, I am going for "sticky status" with this thread.)

So here goes.

CREATING A NEW GALLERY
---Important: Make sure you're allowing JavaScript on ImageFap.---

Start with the "Upload" link (framed in red in the picture linked below):

You should be able to see it at the top of most pages that aren't in the Forums or Chat. Your Profile page is a good place to look.

At the first pull-down menu, the one with the prompt "I want to," select "add a new gallery".
Name your gallery -- you can edit this later.
Click the checkbox for "Public" if you want other folks surfing ImageFap to see it. This also ensures your gallery is included in the site's main Gallery list.

In the scrolling box for Categories, pick the three that are most appropriate for the (better number of) pictures you will be uploading. This also ensures that people surfing the site's main Gallery list will be able to find it when they refine their browsing or searching to certain categories.

There will be two links further down: "Continue to web upload" and "Continue to mobile upload." There are brief explanations above each link. (If you're uploading by way of your Web browser, use the "web upload.")

The next page shows 2 yellow rectangles. The first (and larger) one states the gallery posting rules ImageFap does in fact enforce. The second (and smaller) describes what can be uploaded, and what the maximum file length for .zip, .jpg or .png is.

Below that should be a slim, light-grey rectangle and a button labeled Browse to the right of it. Click on Browse, and navigate to either the first picture or first .zip file of pictures you want to make into a gallery. Clicking the "Open" button in your operating system's standard Open dialog will print the path to the JPEG, PNG or ZIP, with the file included, in that slim grey rectangle. At this point, another pair (box and button) should show up below it. Repeat the above until you have finished Browse-ing the files.

If you should make a mistake and choose the wrong file in a folder, or the wrong ZIP archive, the Reset button below will reload the page you're seeing and remove every printed entry in the box-and-button pairs. (Reset is kind of a "Do-Over.")

And of course, next to Reset is Upload. This should bring up a progress bar below which will be the customary lines showing how much of the file or files is/are uploading to ImageFap, at what rate (in kilobytes per second), the elapsed time and the estimated time before completion of the upload. The upload rate will depend on the level of your Internet service -- 2 TB up/down will of course be faster than ordinary 512K DSL -- and the amount of "traffic" -- how many other members are uploading -- that the ImageFap upload server is handling at a particular time of day.

When the progress bar is full, there may be a pause of up to a minute before the next page loads. This will have "Processing Uploads" both in the title-bar of your browser and somewhere towards the upper-left corner of the browser window, in bold. Each line that appears below the latter should have an icon in black and green (I still can't puzzle out what it's supposed to be), the reference number ImageFap's servers assign to every image (the "ImageFap name"), the name as it appeared in the previous window with the Browse buttons etc., its filesize -- ImageFap's uploader does a quick open-and-re-save of all JPEGs, PNGs and animated GIFs, so the size in this list will very likely be different from the size that appears in your Explorer (or Finder, Nautilus, Dolphin or Konqueror) window -- the date and time (by the IF clock), and the words "Successfully uploaded". When Processing Uploads is finished, you should see a link below the list of files labeled "Continue to your gallery". Click on it.

The first page of thumbnails will then load. If you uploaded more than 24 pictures, you will see a (2) link at the bottom center, by which you can navigate to the second page of thumbs. From here it's the same as surfing any gallery you may have seen already here on ImageFap.

Hope some of this was helpful.

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Re: Creating a new gallery

Postby Bishop_Brennan on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:58 pm

When I try and upload a zip file I get the message

Sorry, uploading files in this format is not allowed. Please ensure your file names follow this format.

1. Entire file cannot exceed 48 characters
2. Format should be filename.extension or filename
3. Legal characters are 1-9, a-z, A-Z, _, -, space

Where do I put the zip file on my computer to shorten the filename to a length you accept?
Bishop_Brennan

Postby Silversleeves on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:11 pm

As for where to situate the zips, the safest thing to do is to keep them as close to "root level" as possible. In Windows, under most common configurations, that would be, as I have it with mine
C:\blu\somefolder
At any rate, keep the path to the zip/s free of spaces or any of the punctuation and "radicals" the Uploader can't handle, as that short list in the error message shows.

I have also found that naming zips with some abbreviated version of their contents, or with the date (with no slashes, backslashes, dots, dashes or other punctuation in either case), usually works OK.

Hope this was helpful.

BZT
"He has all of Nelson's qualities, except one. He has not learned to disobey."
- Admiral Sir J.A. Fisher, RN, 1914, referring to Admiral Jellicoe
Silversleeves

Postby AdlerAngriff on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 pm

I am sorry, but I don't see the public button, only the private one. I didn't check the private button, but still the gallery doesn't show on the ublic galleries.

Help please
AdlerAngriff

Postby japavidols on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:48 pm

You most likely selected "Private" on the first upload page. To check or fix it, go here:
http://www.imagefap.com/mycontent.php
Look for this icon:
If it looks like this, you're good. If it's a yellow/gold color though, that means it's Private. Click the lock to go to a screen where you can change it from Private to Public, and vice versa. Save the changes and it should be publicly visible.
japavidols

Postby Shiyje on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:16 am

Even if I follow every one of the steps mentioned here, the new gallery is always added into a folder called uncategorized and which i cannot delete.
It isn't shown in the galery also, when I try to find it.
I also tried to add a folder before uploading the pictures, but in that case the folder isn't shown in the "To which gallery would you like to add?"-pull-down-menu
Help please?
I know I already added two galleries, but I don't know, how i managed to do it then D:
Shiyje

Postby pat anderson on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:48 am

I JUST CREATED A "PRIVATE GALLERY" AND WHEN I CHECKED MY STATISTICS IT HAD BEEN VIEWED 4 TIMES.
WHO HAS ACCESS TO PRIVATE GALLERIES?

ALSO, MY COMPUTER LOCKED UP WHILE I WAS CREATING A GALLERY AND I NEVER GOT THE "SUCCESSFUL UPLOAD" MESSAGE.
SO I RELOADED THE GALLERY WITH A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT NAME.

AGAIN, WHEN I CHECKED MY STATISTICS, I FOUND BOTH THE 1ST UPLOAD AND ALSO THE 2ND UPLOAD. THE FIRST UPLOAD ALREADY HAD 400+ VIEWS AND THE SECOND HAD ALMOST 30. I DELETED THE 1ST GALLERY. 2 DAYS LATER WHEN I CHECKED MY STATISTICS, THE VIEWS ON THE DELETED GALLERY HAD DOUBLED TO AROUND 800+. HOW CAN 400+ VIEWS BE MADE ON A DELETED GALLERY??

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,
PAT ANDERSON
pat anderson

Postby japavidols on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm

First up, turn off the caps lock please.
Second, private galleries aren't really private. Mods and admins can always view them. Ditto for deleted galleries.
japavidols

Postby kalishiva on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Okay I was able to upload my gallery just fine and I can see it (here: http://www.imagefap.com/gallery/4440987). But for some reason it never appeared on the galleries page and isn't showing up in any categories I designated. And, even when I search on the exact title it doesn't come up in the results. Consequently it has had 0 views. Any ideas on how to get it listed? I didn't set it as a private gallery so it should be visible.
kalishiva

Postby japavidols on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Patience. Once a gallery is uploaded it takes a little time (usually around 45 minutes) before it'll show up on the main gallery pages.
japavidols

Next

Return to Imagefap House of Knowledge