Photos not accepting ratings

Moderator: admin

Re: Photos not accepting ratings

Postby rainglow on Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:26 pm

I have noticed the same problem for about a month. For me, it seems to be getting progressively worse.
I have also tried different browsers and different settings to no avail - the problem persists.

I like the rating system! I like to use it on photos/galleries that I really like.
rainglow

Postby travelerxxx on Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:46 pm

rainglow wrote:I have noticed the same problem for about a month. For me, it seems to be getting progressively worse.
I have also tried different browsers and different settings to no avail - the problem persists.

I like the rating system! I like to use it on photos/galleries that I really like.

Yes, I started seeing this problem a month ago. It happened suddenly and has not abated. Today seems especially bad for me, other days are sometimes better but never correct. Overall, it seems to be getting worse for me too.

Yeah, I enjoy rating my friend's pix up as well. Hopefully, it will get remedied before too long. So far, our faithful moderator hasn't had it happening to him, but I figure it's just a matter of time before it's acknowledged.

Wish I had a work-around to offer, but absolutely nothing I've tried has worked to fix this.
travelerxxx

Postby travelerxxx on Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:12 am

As of last night (Jan. 4/5, North America), I thought everything was fixed. Almost everything was working as advertised. :D

Today, not so much. :cry:

The good news is that our fearless moderator, longhairfish, has today informed us that they indeed know what the problem is and that they are on it. They know there was a minor setback today, but they'll get it. This is some great news! I'm glad the issue was taken seriously and that a fix is coming soon.

I commend the admins who are laboring to make the site enjoyable for everyone. I appreciate the effort and I'm certain others do as well. Thank you!
travelerxxx

Postby longhairfish on Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:46 pm

So, I just got done talking to our web page designer. I asked him if he knew any reason why "some" users would have a problem with the stars and the voting. He said no. And led me to believe that it was almost impossible for this to be an issue. I agree. The stars voting has never been an issue since 2006. But I get it - some people have trouble.

Logically thinking, then this can't be an ImageFap issue because it does work. If it was broken for everyone then I could blame us.

So now what? I can only ask you guys to test it in either a different browser. Or open a private / incognito window and try your voting there. Using a private window is best. This will disable all extensions you have in your browser and you will be running a bare bones browser. You see where I am going here. There has to be some type of extension, add-on or script blocking the voting process. It has to be - right? This is unless some type of browser update happened and truly messed up the voting. The odds of that happening would be pretty low.

If someone tests the voting that way let me know if it worked or it didn't.

And check the Announcement section. If the site is running real slow or 'whatever' then voting will probably not work.
longhairfish
Site Admin

Postby travelerxxx on Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:38 am

I would like to reiterate that this voting problem started quite suddenly, about a month ago. It seemed to coincide with the original moderator announcement on Dec. 4 of site problems. Before that date, there was no problem.

It’s stayed broken until the evening of Jan. 4 (USA), when suddenly everything worked fine for me for at least several hours. The next morning, and ever since, it’s back to the same voting problem. I know that there was a moderator announcement of things “…turning South” after working fine for a while. The return of my voting issue coincided with that “…turning South.”

In any event, a request was made to do some more testing. I did.

I tried three different browsers, all running as bare-bones as I could make them.
All failed.

I tried a different device, this time a mobile device. I ran the browser there as bare-bones as I know how.
It failed.

My results are the same as when I tried this before. The problem seems to follow my account, even with different browsers and even on totally different devices.

In the past month the only time I’ve seen the voting work as it’s supposed to work was a few days ago, before the “…turning South” note was made by our moderator in the announcements section of the forum. Whatever was done at that time, brief though it was, made things work correctly. That was around Jan 3 or 4.
travelerxxx

Postby Dreamlike6141 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:42 am

It's fairly common that my rating doesn't register. However the weirdest thing is that sometimes when an image has one rating (not given by me) and I rate it, the original rating disappears? So in addition to not registering my rating, it's actually wiping out someone else's. Anyone experienced this? I've had this happen multiple times, I'm not hallucinating. :D
Dreamlike6141

Postby travelerxxx on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:14 am

Dreamlike6141 wrote:It's fairly common that my rating doesn't register. However the weirdest thing is that sometimes when an image has one rating (not given by me) and I rate it, the original rating disappears? So in addition to not registering my rating, it's actually wiping out someone else's. Anyone experienced this? I've had this happen multiple times, I'm not hallucinating. :D

I have seen the same. Thing is, I believe ratings "votes" are actually counted, but not always shown. As for whether an existing "vote" is made to disappear as you're suggesting, we can only guess.

When I say that the votes are actually counted, but not always shown, I do know that I can go back to an image which I voted on, but no vote seemed to "register" and try to vote again, only to get the popup saying that "You've already voted on this photo." Still, no rating is shown.

However, just lately, I have been seeing an existing rating completely disappear after I "vote" on the photo. Are the ratings still there? I have no clue.

I know that I originally started this thread on December 6, 2022, and the problem started just before that date and has not really improved. Seeing as there are now over three thousand views of this thread, I am confident that it's happening to far more users than just me. Mods deny that it''s happening, but it clearly is happening. Maybe ImageFap has bigger fish to fry. I don't know.
travelerxxx

Previous

Return to Site Stuff