SLOW SITE

Discuss any legal topic you like here, but no flaming, trolling or hijacking.

Moderator: admin

SLOW SITE

Postby jiggly41 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:58 pm

This site is so slow, it is more aggravating then it is pleasurable.
jiggly41

Re: SLOW SITE

Postby sissynancyboy on Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:11 pm

I believe the issue is something to do with the in-balance between people downloading pictures to people actually uploading and contributing something to the site.
sissynancyboy

Postby longhairfish on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:57 pm

We have been checking around. And here is what I found.

As it usually goes, it's not the site specifically that is the problem. In this case I can justify the slow speeds specifically when you are in the USA. Site moderators from France, Germany and the Netherlands report no problems. While at the same time the speeds are horrible for me.

So we know the site is blazingly fast. Our tests prove that. So now what? There is a problematic issue with a switch or router in Amsterdam. This hunk of hardware is totally out of imagefaps control. And it is out of control for any services we use to keep the site running. So we are in a tough spot if we live in certain places of the USA, especially the Eastern section - East of the Mississippi river for example.

The nerdy stuff: This hardware in Amsterdam has been an issue for almost 2 years. As the internet goes, typically a bad switch or router will automatically be noticed by the owners or the software, then the traffic will be routed differently to avoid the slowness. Since this issue is going on for so long, someone is asleep at the switch!

To me, and I could be wrong, this switch is a worry because it has a label on it from a company that no longer exists. They were bought out.

What can I tell you? Nothing else. We are screwed. Tons of people have complained about this problem with no resolve. The first problem I noticed was in May of 2022.
longhairfish
Site Admin

Postby 3pennies on Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:37 pm

In my experience the animated GIFs are what bog down the site. I set up a filter in uBlock to block .gifs and was shocked at much of an improvement that made.
3pennies

Postby patman21 on Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:47 pm

A cool feature would be if you could disable gifs from automatically playing on a gallery page, like with a button or profile option. I haven't programmed web language in many years, but there must be a way to do this. And the best outcome from this would be that the traffic would bog down less from people who view everything as one page, especially for gif galleries
patman21

Postby longhairfish on Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:00 pm

If anyone is interested, you can block the GIF pictures if you want. Or any other types of categories.

https://www.imagefap.com/myblockedcategories.php
longhairfish
Site Admin

Return to General Off Topic